Re: CONGRESSIONAL REFORM
Though there are decent, honest and respectable members of Congress (and you may be one of them), these people are completely blocked by a political process gone wild. Congress’ methods in passing laws are tailor made for self-serving interests. Many of the practices in Congress are worthy of being called criminal acts deserving of jail time or removal from office. I say this not to be offensive, but to let you know how your constituents really feel.
No matter how well-meaning you may be, with the current process and status quo, Congress will never solve any of our current or future problems, nor will it do anything truly beneficial.
Something must be done about it.
I am therefore asking that you stand up for me and my family, and Americans in general by instituting massive Congressional Reform along these lines:
· First and foremost, NO MORE adding hundreds of pages to a bill and passing it hours later. The American people should have at least 30 days to review the absolute final version of the bill or allocation of funds before the vote. We need to have enough time to respond and protect ourselves from self-serving interests, poorly thought out laws, and laws which infringe upon our civil liberties.
· NO MORE coercion to obtain votes. No more trading, buying or selling of votes. No more “compromise” as some call it. At the state level, these are felonies.
· NO MORE earmarks, sweet heart deals or any other way of paying off friends and contributors with taxpayer money. This is embezzlement.
· NO MORE insider trading or other comparable misconduct. Congress should not be exempt from any laws we have to follow. If anything, there should be more laws against members of Congress than anyone else.
· NO MORE “deals” made behind closed doors just before the vote.
· NO MORE bundling of bills the way investment firms bundle securities - one subject per bill. A bill should stand on its merit alone and not be lumped into other bills forcing members of Congress to vote for things they don’t really support, and which are detrimental to Americans.
· MEMBERS shouldn’t be able to vote on bills where they and their friends stand to profit.
· NO member of Congress should be profiting because of their position in Congress in any way, shape or form. When this is permitted, it inevitably results in compromising or corrupting members of Congress.
· Set up an effective ethics system (one with teeth), which protects and rewards decent people when they report illegal and unethical activities in the Halls of Congress and government.
You may feel the above is impossible. I would like to remind you that there are hundreds of thousands of organizations and tens of millions of people in the United States alone that conduct their business affairs in an ethical and honorable fashion every day. There is no reason why Congress can’t do the same. If anything, it should be easier for Congress because you control the purse strings to trillions of dollars, make your own rules of conduct, and the bills you pass become law.
If everyone else can do it, so can Congress.
While you are pushing for this Congressional Reform, please immediately implement these standards in your own conduct. Simply send an email to your fellow members of Congress informing them that you will vote “no” on bills that your constituents haven’t had 30 days to thoroughly review and comment on, and that you will be following all of the above from here on out.
Considering we have soldiers thousands of miles away putting their lives on the line and risking everything for us, this isn’t too much to ask of you.
Please write me back and let me know that you will be doing this.
Doris and John Newnam
1349 Western Oaks Dr.
Woodway, TX 76712